Skip to main content

CA Road Trips: Monterey & Carmel

Last Leg of Our California Road Trip

Revised 4/2021

Dear Polite Travelers,

For those of you who have been following along with my latest road trip, the next few sentences probably read like, “Blah, blah, blah.”  However, for those of you who have just tuned in, here is a little background to my road trip series of posts.


My baby sis enjoying her birthday
My Sis Cheryl
My baby sister just turned 60 and wanted to spend her special day with family at the happiest place on earth.  Since LA is a mere seven hours from our California hamlet, we decided to drive and take the slow road home through some of the most beautiful places in our state.  Sounds great, huh?  Well, besides the southern California drive.  (SOCAL has crazy traffic!!)

Note: Follow CDC and county guidelines when visiting.  Always wear your face mask when in public.   

Smell that salt air.

Leaving Paso Robles early in the morning, we headed up highway 101 to Monterey.  It is a lovely 2-1/2-hour (includes a short stop at a Starbucks—yum) trip.  Most of the landscape is agricultural—green and fertile.  Reaching the salad bowl of the west, Salinas, we took the CA68 west toward Pacific Grove/Pebble Beach highway.  It didn’t take long before a familiar smell wafted through our vehicle.  Ah, the Pacific!  

Monterey Bay, CA

Monterey

As our destination was Carmel, we had a measly few hours in this iconic ocean-side city.  Even though I’ve visited countless times, I always find something new, especially when visiting the wharf.  I love the vibe of the place.  The people...the restaurants...the shops...perfect.   During our short stay, servers of almost all the restaurants welcomed passersby with samples of clam chowder.  It smelled yummy.   



As we looked out into the bay, we could see several different types of seals, sea lions, and otters.  It isn’t unusual, however, to also see dolphins and humpback whales.  For our next trip, I vow to visit the Monterey Bay Aquarium.  The current buzz is around their amazing, colorful octopus.

Note: Pandemic rules change most everything right now.  But remember.  This is only temporary.  Be kind and plan well.  Some deals, restaurants, and even activities, such as the aquarium, may change or be nonexistent for now.

Shops on Monterey Bay wharf

It was a typical sunny day for this temperate climate, and I had forgotten my wide-brimmed hat.  Consequently, we dipped into several souvenir-filled shops where we found countless knickknacks representing the coast/California/sports teams, etc.  You name it.  If it is California coast-related, you will probably find it here.  However, even though there were numerous shirts and baseball caps, I didn’t find one that spoke to me.  I have a surprise coming in Carmel.

Dunes of Carmel CA

Carmel by the Sea

Carmel can be a tad chilly since it is so close to the ocean and those ocean breezes.  However, we were lucky to find mild warm weather for our 1-1/2 days devoted to this idyllic ocean-side city, home to the, now deceased, Doris Day and Clint Eastwood.  References to these two celebs were everywhere.  If you are lucky, he could be sitting next to you at one of the abundant, excellent restaurants.  One of which we visited for a marvelous early dinner.

A Girl’s Gotta Eat...Wait!  They’re gone?

Since this is an update on my previous post.  I’ve found the pandemic hit one of our favorite dining establishments and one we visited on this last trip.  If possible, please visit a local diner to support them so they don’t suffer the same fate as: Le St. Tropez.  Very sad. 

One of the many art pieces found around Carmel, CA

About Town

In my opinion, the most rewarding activity in Carmel is walking the enchanting streets.  There, one can find family-friendly parks, a cadre of shops, bars and restaurants, and the occasional street art.

Unfortunately all the businesses I visited on my last trip are gone.  Check with the Carmel Chamber of Commerce for an update on what is available before your visit. 

My Surprise

As I mentioned previously, I forgot my wide-brimmed hat to protect me from the bright sunshine.  So, even though I doubted I would find anything reasonably priced in this touristy town, I kept my eyes open for an opportunity.  

Rebecca Black enjoying morning coffee in Carmel, CA

Since Carmel is actually a small-town catering to a large number of tourists, there are many unique boutique shops tucked inside courtyards located between street-facing buildings—very interesting.  Thus, as we were venturing around town, we came across one such courtyard full of classy boutiques.  One, luckily for me, was an old-fashion hat shop.  They even make many of their own hats.  Although I don’t typically favor baseball caps, I instantly fell for the beauty in the above picture. 

I hope you enjoy your visit to Monterey and Carmel.  Please share your experiences with us. 

Please Read

Mobility Issues: Paso Robles, CA

Review: Paso Robles, CA

Amtrak Coast Starlight Review 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kauai Vacation: Room Review

The Room Over The Power Plant Revised 4/2021 The Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas offers guests beautiful rooms, which include kitchens or kitchenettes, outdoor grills, and a number of pools.  Most often, it includes an excellent restaurant, poolside bar, and small store.  A large grocery store is within walking distance as well.  Thus, the theory is that guests will not have to leave the property once they cross the big pond to reach it. Great theory, but that’s not necessarily true when the only on-site restaurant is closed.  Add to that the incredibly loud room...well, let’s just say I needed a break from the property at times.   Note : Follow Hawaii and CDC guidelines when visiting.  Always wear your face mask when in public. May we just see the room we should have had? After an exceptionally long journey that included a broken plane and a rushed connection—not to mention airport security—we were surprised to find that our hotel had our room ready an hour early.

Snapshot Video: Embassy Suites and Our One-Day Visit to Napa, CA

  Snapshot of my latest one-day visit to Napa, including our overnight stay in the Embassy Suites, Napa.

Sonoma, California: DoubleTree Sonoma

Updated 4/2021 Our Stay in the DoubleTree Hilton Hotel Sonoma Wine Country in California As over-worked small business owners, we decided to play hooky traveling through Sonoma County for a couple of days.  Since we recently experience excellent service on our last stay in a DoubleTree, we booked a room at their Sonoma Wine Country property in Rohnert Park. Our Journey Through Sonoma County Our drive from our home in Davis pleasant with light traffic.  We chose a slightly longer route through Sonoma so we could take in the beauty of the Glen Ellen area vineyards.  The vineyards here are quite beautiful with green rolling hills as a backdrop.  Arriving at the DoubleTree As we arrived, I mentioned to my husband that since this trip would focus on cheese tasting, it would be perfect if we were given a free upgrade to a room with a refrigerator.  The hotel appeared fully booked, so I assumed that was impossible.   Astonishingly, when we asked about an upgrade, the polite rec