Skip to main content

Cruise Room Review: Grand Princess L307

Room L307 on the Grand Princess

Comfy, Rocking Room on the Grand Princess

Revised 4/2021

Dear Polite Traveler,

What does a person really want in a cruise ship stateroom?  Well, I suppose the answer would be different with each passenger.  For my hubby and I, we wanted to be able to see the ocean and be comfortable. 

Since this was a relatively chilly weather cruise, we skipped a balcony room and chose an outside cabin with a window.  Not many were available when we decided on an Alaskan cruise anyway.  Even so, I think ours was perfect.  Not too small and not too expensive.  After all, this is our second Alaskan cruise, so I did not feel it granted an extravagant suite.  We are not that type anyway.

Note: Follow CDC and Princess guidelines when visiting.  Always wear your face mask when in public. 

Where’s our room?

We knew our room was on the Lido deck.  Check.  Nevertheless, we couldn’t find cabin 307.  Everyone would just point down the hall when asked, which it was.  That said, there were no cabins down the hall near the entrance to the pool area.  So, we just kept going in circles until one gentleman walked us to an unmarked door and opened it.  Inside was a short hall.  Our room was at the end.  Weird, but it helped keep noise from filtering into the room.  I’ll take weird again, please.

Rock-a-bye Baby

I was leery about our cabin choice of L307 since it is at the top and front of the ship.  I have a problem with seasickness, as vertigo is an ongoing problem for me.  Nevertheless, with my Bodine pills (one each day for the first three days) I was perfectly fine.  So fine, in fact, that I want to be in that same area again.  Being in the room was like being rocked gently by someone who truly cares



Home away from home.

The room itself was ample with a large, floor-to-ceiling window.  A refrigerator, television, desk, and a comfy bed rounded it off well.   A half-wall separated the bathroom and storage area from the main room.  Behind it and directly left of the entry door is a tall cupboard, an ample closet, and a bathroom.  Inside the cupboard are shelving and the in-room safe.  Not surprisingly, the bathroom is a typical cabin bathroom with a small shower, sink, and toilet. The sink area also has storage built into the sidewall.  Very convenient. 

Men, you might want to skip this part.

From a woman’s point of view, the shower is an issue.  It is so small, I found shaving my legs to be a difficult task.  Since I didn’t want to go au naturel, I tried a number of contortions trying to reach razor to leg inside the small tube of a shower.  Grrrr... Not happening.  Never one to admit defeat, I looked for an alternative.  Noticing that the toilet is directly next to the shower, I used it as a ledge for my foot.  Problem solved.  I made a mess of the area since my leg was outside the shower, but my legs were hairless. 

Okay, men you can join in again.

In my opinion, the bathroom entry could pose a hazard.  There is a five-inch (ish) ledge separating the bathroom from the rest of the cabin, which means one needs to step over it to enter and exit the room. I realize it is there to protect the room from water overflows.  Still, it wouldn’t take much to trip over it and fall into or out of the bathroom, especially for those taking advantage of the numerous bars on board.  I found that I just naturally held onto the door frame every time I entered and exited anyway.  Thus, no stitches for me this trip.

Note: During the pandemic, and even afterward, it may be best to wipe the doorframe with antibacterial wipes and wash your hands each time you touch it.  Hey, we should be washing our hands when using the bathroom anyway!  Problem solved.

Summing it all up.

Honestly, I loved our room on the Grand Princess cruising to Alaska.  We have four more cruises lined up.  Each cruise will place us in different rooms on different decks on different ships.  So, tune in to find out more about the cabins of various Princess Cruise Ships.

What are your experiences? 

Good Journeys! 

Please Read

Cruise Review: Panama Canal; Coral Princess

Importance of Being Polite When Cruising

Overview of the Grand Princess to Alaska




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kauai Vacation: Room Review

The Room Over The Power Plant Revised 4/2021 The Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas offers guests beautiful rooms, which include kitchens or kitchenettes, outdoor grills, and a number of pools.  Most often, it includes an excellent restaurant, poolside bar, and small store.  A large grocery store is within walking distance as well.  Thus, the theory is that guests will not have to leave the property once they cross the big pond to reach it. Great theory, but that’s not necessarily true when the only on-site restaurant is closed.  Add to that the incredibly loud room...well, let’s just say I needed a break from the property at times.   Note : Follow Hawaii and CDC guidelines when visiting.  Always wear your face mask when in public. May we just see the room we should have had? After an exceptionally long journey that included a broken plane and a rushed connection—not to mention airport security—we were surprised to find that our hotel had our room ready an hour early.

Snapshot Video: Embassy Suites and Our One-Day Visit to Napa, CA

  Snapshot of my latest one-day visit to Napa, including our overnight stay in the Embassy Suites, Napa.

Sonoma, California: DoubleTree Sonoma

Updated 4/2021 Our Stay in the DoubleTree Hilton Hotel Sonoma Wine Country in California As over-worked small business owners, we decided to play hooky traveling through Sonoma County for a couple of days.  Since we recently experience excellent service on our last stay in a DoubleTree, we booked a room at their Sonoma Wine Country property in Rohnert Park. Our Journey Through Sonoma County Our drive from our home in Davis pleasant with light traffic.  We chose a slightly longer route through Sonoma so we could take in the beauty of the Glen Ellen area vineyards.  The vineyards here are quite beautiful with green rolling hills as a backdrop.  Arriving at the DoubleTree As we arrived, I mentioned to my husband that since this trip would focus on cheese tasting, it would be perfect if we were given a free upgrade to a room with a refrigerator.  The hotel appeared fully booked, so I assumed that was impossible.   Astonishingly, when we asked about an upgrade, the polite rec