Skip to main content

Activities on the Grand Princess Hawaiian Cruise

Princess Fine Arts Program brochure

My Five Favorite Activities on the Grand Princess Cruise to Hawaii

Revised 4/2021

Dear Polite Traveler,

There are not many phrases a person wants to hear more than “You are a winner!”  Another would be “The painting is yours,” especially when it is a painting dear to one’s heart and at a remarkable price.  Well, I experienced this and many more enjoyable and exciting adventures on our last Princess Cruise.  This time, it was the 15-day cruise to the Hawaiian Islands on the Grand Princess. 

Note: Follow CDC and Princess guidelines when visiting.  Always wear your face mask when in public.   

Certificate for free art onboard Princess Cruises

Princess Fine Arts Program

Two Paintings I purchased in auction onboard Princess Cruises

Princess Cruises teamed up with the creditable Park West Galleries to provide educational art seminars, which include art history and art auctions.  I never imagined myself as a serious art collector, as my discretionary funds don’t line up with my taste in art.  Nevertheless, our Art Director, Naomi Baldwin made me deals I couldn’t refuse.  Although those deals were presented to the entire auction, it felt individualized.

 Naomi and her team, (Martin, Chantel and Bianca) are experts in learning the taste of each “regular” and presenting incredible opportunities to own those pieces.  

Attendees to the seminars and many of the auctions receive packets of art that include a sheet of authenticity and information about each artist.  If one attends all functions, he or she receives a huge packet of art.  I was in art heaven.

Effy Jewelry Seminars & Raffles

Attracted by the opportunity to win a piece of jewelry is intoxicating.  But winning an Effy piece...pure delight.  That’s not to say that everyone wins or that the pieces are exceptionally perfect.  Nevertheless, it’s great fun and I did win—twice. 

As much fun as the raffles were, the seminars were even more so.  As mentioned before, my budget is not one that allows such extravagances, but learning about gemstones and the methods jewelers use to increase the value of each piece of jewelry was enlightening.  If I was to purchase something outside my typical budget, I would want to know if it was worth the price.  These seminars/classes helped.  Of course, I did find out that I have great taste.  Everything I loved was the priciest pieces.  Figures.  


 
Zumba Instructors

Zumba!

Those of you who have read my previous posts about cruising know just how much I LOVE Zumba.  Yep, love in all caps.  And this cruise didn’t disappoint.  There wasn’t just one morning Zumba class.  There were two—two chances to dance off Horizon Court Buffet excesses.  These classes were held back-to-back and directed by excellent, professional-level Zumba instructors.  As someone who wiggles her behind to music every day, I found these classes first-rate.   

Hula Classes onboard Princess Cruises
I am top left in this Hula Class

Hula

Ever wonder what message hula dancers are attempting to convey?  Those who participated in Rowena’s hula classes know exactly that now.  She was more than just a hula dance teacher, though.  She held extensive Hawaiian Cultural Awareness seminars and nightly entertainment.  In fact, she and her husband, Brian, were all over the ship sharing aloha day and night. 

Her classes were enjoyable and stimulating, as she taught us Hawaiian culture during these sessions as well.  One of her early lessons was responding to the command, “Kaukaukau,” which means “make ready.”  The appropriate response is “Ae”.

That's me attempting to learn the ukulele

Ukulele

Like many others, I love Hawaiian music.  So much so, that my favorite “Pandora” channel is Hawaiian Radio.  Thus, it was natural that I would want to participate in the ship’s ukulele classes presented by Brian.  It seems that most everyone had the same thought though, as these were extremely large classes.  It’s advisable to arrive early to secure a ukulele.  Still, even if play “air ukulele” one can learn the cords. 

As an example of how popular these classes are, many brought their own ukulele from home.  Even so, I found myself without a ukulele often.  Ultimately, I decided to give up on the classes and study via YouTube.   Brian is an excellent teacher who taught me enough to feel comfortable doing so.

Near the end of the cruise, all the students from both the hula and ukulele classes participate in a performance on the big stage for the entire ship.  I didn’t participate since I didn’t take all the classes.  But, my dear friend, Elizabeth Leonard did.  You can hear me cheering for her in the video.

Future Activities On My Checklist

Trivia.  Most ships have some sort of Trivia games going on during the day and evening.  On this particular voyage, there were multiple games each day.  For example, there was a “Morning Trivia” which was generic—typical of most trivia games.   In the afternoon, there was “Cruise Long Trivia”.  These games changed each day.  One day, the topic was “Movies & TV.  Fun!  There were several other games held as well.  Each day, each game was a bit different. 

Dance classes.  Every time I plan a cruise, I promise to take dance classes.  On this cruise, there were multiple classes, besides hula.  For example, most mornings there were “Line Dance” classes.  The classes held later in the day varied, like one day it was “Merengue” and another it was “Ballroom Blitz”.  Unfortunately, with so many activities onboard, I couldn’t fit any of the classes.  The same is true for most of the Discovery seminars, although I did make it to a few. 

Discover Seminars.  Princess Cruise Lines has partnered with the Discovery Channel, which means guests are treated to multiple educational opportunities.  One day, the morning seminar was “Encounters with Discovery at Sea: Flora & Fauna of Hawaii.”  I found time to attend and enjoyed it immensely. 

There were that many quality activities held each day, that my only regret is that I couldn’t be in more than two places at one time. 

Please share your experiences!

Please Read

Cruise Review: Panama Canal; Coral Princess

Importance of Being Polite When Cruising

Overview of the Grand Princess to Alaska

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kauai Vacation: Room Review

The Room Over The Power Plant Revised 4/2021 The Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas offers guests beautiful rooms, which include kitchens or kitchenettes, outdoor grills, and a number of pools.  Most often, it includes an excellent restaurant, poolside bar, and small store.  A large grocery store is within walking distance as well.  Thus, the theory is that guests will not have to leave the property once they cross the big pond to reach it. Great theory, but that’s not necessarily true when the only on-site restaurant is closed.  Add to that the incredibly loud room...well, let’s just say I needed a break from the property at times.   Note : Follow Hawaii and CDC guidelines when visiting.  Always wear your face mask when in public. May we just see the room we should have had? After an exceptionally long journey that included a broken plane and a rushed connection—not to mention airport security—we were surprised to find that our hotel had our room ready an hour early.

Snapshot Video: Embassy Suites and Our One-Day Visit to Napa, CA

  Snapshot of my latest one-day visit to Napa, including our overnight stay in the Embassy Suites, Napa.

Sonoma, California: DoubleTree Sonoma

Updated 4/2021 Our Stay in the DoubleTree Hilton Hotel Sonoma Wine Country in California As over-worked small business owners, we decided to play hooky traveling through Sonoma County for a couple of days.  Since we recently experience excellent service on our last stay in a DoubleTree, we booked a room at their Sonoma Wine Country property in Rohnert Park. Our Journey Through Sonoma County Our drive from our home in Davis pleasant with light traffic.  We chose a slightly longer route through Sonoma so we could take in the beauty of the Glen Ellen area vineyards.  The vineyards here are quite beautiful with green rolling hills as a backdrop.  Arriving at the DoubleTree As we arrived, I mentioned to my husband that since this trip would focus on cheese tasting, it would be perfect if we were given a free upgrade to a room with a refrigerator.  The hotel appeared fully booked, so I assumed that was impossible.   Astonishingly, when we asked about an upgrade, the polite rec