Skip to main content

Market Review: Nugget Grocery, Davis, CA

Nugget Market Davis CA

My Nirvana, Our Nugget Market

Revised 4/2021

Dear Polite Traveler,

Nugget Market has been voted as one of the top 100 best places to work. I would not know it if I hadn’t read it.  Nevertheless, what I do know is that everyone seems to enjoy the day, every day.  And they are eager to help their guests find exactly what we want.  

Note: Follow CDC and county guidelines when visiting.  Always wear your face mask when in public.  

A Girl Must Have Her Rituals

I have a ritual.  Actually, I have many.  However, this particular ritual involves a weekly visit to Nugget. Every Sunday my husband and I will stop in for coffee and a pastry.  It is typically terribly busy, even early in the morning. After all, they make the best croissants this side of France.

Note: During the pandemic, self-serve coffee bars are not available.   

No one seems to mind that I must absolutely mix my coffee at their self-serve coffee bar.  I liken it to a well-tuned orchestra.  When an orchestra is comprised of just the right instruments and players it can bring tears to the eyes—in a good way.  Mine is always perfect.  

Of course, the pastries are superb as well.  Still, I choose the chocolate croissant for eating there and at least one more for home to munch on the following week. They taste as if they were flown in that very morning from Paris.  I thank the friendly and ever helpful bakery and beverage staff on each visit. They are the best.  

What Goes into My Basket?

Now that I have my coffee, and pastry secured in my basket, it is time to search for the perfect cheese for tonight.  Typically, the cheesemonger is slicing rounds of cheese into consumer-sized packages.  I won’t miss an opportunity for a sample and to learn more about each cheese.

The entire staff trains constantly and works tirelessly to ensure that they can answer all questions. So, if I decided that I didn’t want a cheese plate for dinner, there are many options of freshly cooked items to choose from as well.  The choices are endless and scrumptious.  The butternut squash ravioli is my daughter’s favorite.

However, what about the wine for dinner? Nugget’s well-trained wine stewards can navigate and simplify what seems to be a daunting task of choosing just the right wine.  After all, the wine department is vast. They make the visit even more rewarding with their knowledge and courteous assistance.  

Coffee & Friends

If I am lucky enough to have some free time during the week, I will spend it visiting early in the morning.  On one visit, I sat with my coffee at one of their tables near the coffee kiosk.  A man came through with a broom to clean and apologized for being in my way.  Now, that is great manners. As I sipped, I noticed men in suits and retired ladies gabbing next to those who clearly define Davis—Birkenstocks, loose-fitting jeans or sweats, and a thoughtful look on their faces all waiting to order their coffee.  I just had to smile at the thought of belonging to such a diverse and yet stimulating blend of people.  

Note: During the pandemic, there is no indoor seating.  It’s best to sit at their tables outside.

Thank you to those who brighten our day.  Thank you to everyone at Nugget.  

Please Read

Hotel Room Review of Hilton Garden Inn Downtown Davis

Sonoma California: Touring Creameries

Top 5 Fun, Free things to do in Davis, California


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kauai Vacation: Room Review

The Room Over The Power Plant Revised 4/2021 The Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas offers guests beautiful rooms, which include kitchens or kitchenettes, outdoor grills, and a number of pools.  Most often, it includes an excellent restaurant, poolside bar, and small store.  A large grocery store is within walking distance as well.  Thus, the theory is that guests will not have to leave the property once they cross the big pond to reach it. Great theory, but that’s not necessarily true when the only on-site restaurant is closed.  Add to that the incredibly loud room...well, let’s just say I needed a break from the property at times.   Note : Follow Hawaii and CDC guidelines when visiting.  Always wear your face mask when in public. May we just see the room we should have had? After an exceptionally long journey that included a broken plane and a rushed connection—not to mention airport security—we were surprised to find that our hotel had our room ready an hour early.

Snapshot Video: Embassy Suites and Our One-Day Visit to Napa, CA

  Snapshot of my latest one-day visit to Napa, including our overnight stay in the Embassy Suites, Napa.

Sonoma, California: DoubleTree Sonoma

Updated 4/2021 Our Stay in the DoubleTree Hilton Hotel Sonoma Wine Country in California As over-worked small business owners, we decided to play hooky traveling through Sonoma County for a couple of days.  Since we recently experience excellent service on our last stay in a DoubleTree, we booked a room at their Sonoma Wine Country property in Rohnert Park. Our Journey Through Sonoma County Our drive from our home in Davis pleasant with light traffic.  We chose a slightly longer route through Sonoma so we could take in the beauty of the Glen Ellen area vineyards.  The vineyards here are quite beautiful with green rolling hills as a backdrop.  Arriving at the DoubleTree As we arrived, I mentioned to my husband that since this trip would focus on cheese tasting, it would be perfect if we were given a free upgrade to a room with a refrigerator.  The hotel appeared fully booked, so I assumed that was impossible.   Astonishingly, when we asked about an upgrade, the polite rec