Skip to main content

Food Poisoning Served at Burger King, Tonopah Nevada

Burger King, Tonopah Nevada
Photo doesn't show exactly how filthy this place is.

Good and Bad Traveling Through Nevada

For the last four years, we have been traveling south from Davis through California and into the most northeastern portion of Arizona to provide workshops for the students of the Dine′ College.  

Every visit has been enjoyable.  However, since we are traveling thousands of miles—and we are members of the well-seasoned club—we tired of driving the same highways.  

Driving through the Mohave, staying in Barstow and driving the arrow-straight Highway 40 was making me very cranky.  And no one wants to see me cranky.  Consequently, we decided to change it up by taking Highway 95 north through western Nevada and connecting with Highway 50 west for our return trip. 

Our First Stop

After seven hours of driving through a colorful, mountainous northern Arizona, we settled into a roomy oasis in Boulder City, Nevada.  (Review) With this, mostly, pleasant stay, I had high hopes for the remainder of our return trip to California.  Unfortunately, this was not to be.  Nevertheless, my impression of Boulder is positive.  It is rocky, hot, but beautiful, especially when looking out over Lake Mead, which our motel did.


A Long Painful Trek

The next morning, we set out too early for our “free” breakfast—one of my major beefs with this Quality Inn.  Evidently, management banks on travelers skipping out before 7 am when they slowly parcel out their packaged fare.  “No worries,” I thought.  I figured that we could grab some Starbucks coffee down the road and later stop in Tonapah for a late breakfast.  Not typically a “fast food” person.  I will stop at a McDonald’s for their Egg McMuffins sans the cheese.  Yum. 

Imagine my despair when we white-knuckled our way through Las Vegas commute traffic, to find ourselves on a two-lane, semi-filled desolate highway through more of the same type of desert we avoided in California, only to find that McDonald's moved and left we, hungry travelers, with the only viable option—a Burger King inside a truck stop.  Yikes!

Breakfast that gave me stomach poisoning.

I should have known when I bit into a cold ham and egg croissant.  Staved, I risked two more bites before tossing it while declaring that I may have to stay near a restroom for the remainder of our journey.  Yep.  So true, as I quickly became very ill.  The only positive was that mine was a light case of food poisoning.  Even so, I had stomach cramps for the following four days.

Word of Advice

Please try to avoid driving the entire length of Highway 95 through Nevada.  There were very few restaurants, very few gas stations, and only two (that I found) rest stops.  If it is unavoidable, take your own food and beverages.  Fill up before entering the long stretch between Las Vegas and Minden / Gardnerville.  Finally, when faced with a cold sandwich that should be hot, do not eat it!

Good journeys to all! 

What are your experiences? 

Please Read

Motel Review: Quality Inn, Flagstaff, AZ

Hotel Review: Comfort Inn Williams, AZ

Motel Review: Quality Inn, Boulder NV 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa Review

Art, Excellent Service & Penguins...Oh My My Dear Polite Travelers, Maui has experienced some horrific natural disasters, including a devastating fire and, more recently, torrential rain that caused severe flooding.  However, none of that was visible during my last visit.  The Hyatt Regency Maui Resort is a huge, richly landscaped, multi-building beauty.  It includes a 40-acre oceanfront lagoon and a waterslide into a children’s splashpad.  However, I saw many more adults enjoying the splashpad than children.  It did look inviting.   Directly adjacent to the lobby is a penguin den.  Guests are invited to watch a daily penguin presentation.  I enjoyed watching them play.  They are quite adorable.     Dining & Shopping In the main building, you’ll find multiple shops, including a gallery filled with unique and quite excellent art.  My favorite shop was actually Honolulu Coffee .  As a family-owned,...

Venue Review: Hilton Hawaiian Village

Unexpected Upgrade at Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Hotel Revised 4/2021 Dear Polite Traveler, For our most recent visit to the “Gathering Place”, better known as Oahu, we decided to split our ten-day stay between two excellent Hilton properties: Hilton Waikiki Beach Hotel ( review ) and Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Hotel.   During our stay at the Hilton Waikiki Beach Hotel, I thought it couldn’t get any better.  We enjoyed our stay immensely.  Nevertheless, Hilton surprised us once more. Note : Follow CDC and county guidelines when visiting.  Always wear your face mask when in public.   We’re upgraded to where? Yep, because we are Hilton Honors members, we were upgraded again to...wait for it…the Ali’i Tower!  Breathe, breathe.  Amazing upgrade.  Here’s a bit of the background about this excellent upgrade.  Earlier this year, my husband noticed an unbelievable half-price deal on suites at the...

A Few Days in Palm Springs

Palm Springs Activities Hello, my Polite Travelers, As an older couple, we often just want to relax and enjoy our favorite places at a leisurely pace. This was the case during our recent revisit to Palm Springs. For the most part, we explored downtown, stopping for coffee and chatting with the locals. Additionally, we embarked on a few other excellent adventures. Agua Caliente Cultural Museum As a Smithsonian Affiliate, I found this museum to be outstanding.  This museum is a mixture of immersive video, sound, and visuals (including lifelike exhibits) to tell the story of America’s rich—and many times heart-wrenching—indigenous story.  The permanent gallery begins with the 360-degree immersive video of the Agua Caliente “Creation & Migration” story.  The quality of their digital animation and sound is impressive—there’s even a screen on the floor.  I found their creation story to be fascinating. Don’t Miss! For the Love of Art! Don’t Miss The Palm Springs Art M...