Skip to main content

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa Review

Art, Excellent Service & Penguins...Oh My

My Dear Polite Travelers,

Maui has experienced some horrific natural disasters, including a devastating fire and, more recently, torrential rain that caused severe flooding.  However, none of that was visible during my last visit. 

The Hyatt Regency Maui Resort is a huge, richly landscaped, multi-building beauty.  It includes a 40-acre oceanfront lagoon and a waterslide into a children’s splashpad.  However, I saw many more adults enjoying the splashpad than children.  It did look inviting.   Directly adjacent to the lobby is a penguin den.  Guests are invited to watch a daily penguin presentation.  I enjoyed watching them play.  They are quite adorable.    

Dining & Shopping

In the main building, you’ll find multiple shops, including a gallery filled with unique and quite excellent art.  My favorite shop was actually Honolulu Coffee.  As a family-owned, it grows, roasts, and serves its excellent coffee.  I found it to have fairly good pastries and other various food items. 

I didn’t try Son’z Steakhouse, although I did learn that the food is excellent.  It is fine dining and pricy.  $90 for a ribeye is a tad too expensive for me.  Reservations are suggested.

Swan Court Breakfast is, well, where one can find a good breakfast and watch resident swans swim by in the adjacent lagoon.   The setting is spectacular, and the food choices are great.  I enjoyed their upcountry omelet.


Asia-inspired dining is available in the Japengo bar and restaurant.  The menu didn’t appeal to me at the time, and it is a tad pricy.  It has a great reputation, though. 

Since I tend to veer toward simple fare on vacation, we spent most evenings at the 'Ūmalu pool bar restaurant.  My favorite meal was the steak sandwich that included a hearty serving of fries.  The cost was $30, and it was plenty for two people to share. Yum.  Honestly, it was an enjoyable place to sit, enjoy the fresh Hawaiian breezes, and meet very nice people. 

Hotel Dining Page

Don’t Miss These Reviews!

No Chardonnay? Really? Hyatt Place Bakersfield Review

Two Hotels, Two Different Experiences—Hilton vs Hyatt Waikiki

Activity Review: Honolulu Zoo

 Activities

Create and taste with the Mixology Experience, stretch the body with yoga, and shake your hips at the Drums of the Pacific Lu’au.  These are just three of many activities to choose from.  Personally, I chose to spend time at the hotel’s fitness center, the “Moana Athletic Club”.  It’s unlike any hotel fitness center I’ve ever used.  There’s every machine, plus more, that I’ve encountered in a professional gym.  Plus, there are two rooms, one specifically used for free weights and floor exercises.  I’m impressed…and more fit. 


Accessibility Note

The entire hotel addressed the needs of mobility-challenged persons.  There are elevators, ramps, and accessible rooms.  A real plus is that because we have disability placard, we received free valet parking.  This relieved a ton of needless stress.  Plus, the valet staff are helpful and just plain wonderful people.  Mahalo.

Will We Return?

If we return to Maui, this is definitely one of our stays.  I love it here.  The ocean is nearly at my feet.  A convenient beach walk that connects all the resorts, directly out the back door, and efficient, caring staff…what’s not to like?

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Venue Review: Hilton Hawaiian Village

Unexpected Upgrade at Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Hotel Revised 4/2021 Dear Polite Traveler, For our most recent visit to the “Gathering Place”, better known as Oahu, we decided to split our ten-day stay between two excellent Hilton properties: Hilton Waikiki Beach Hotel ( review ) and Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Hotel.   During our stay at the Hilton Waikiki Beach Hotel, I thought it couldn’t get any better.  We enjoyed our stay immensely.  Nevertheless, Hilton surprised us once more. Note : Follow CDC and county guidelines when visiting.  Always wear your face mask when in public.   We’re upgraded to where? Yep, because we are Hilton Honors members, we were upgraded again to...wait for it…the Ali’i Tower!  Breathe, breathe.  Amazing upgrade.  Here’s a bit of the background about this excellent upgrade.  Earlier this year, my husband noticed an unbelievable half-price deal on suites at the...

A Few Days in Palm Springs

Palm Springs Activities Hello, my Polite Travelers, As an older couple, we often just want to relax and enjoy our favorite places at a leisurely pace. This was the case during our recent revisit to Palm Springs. For the most part, we explored downtown, stopping for coffee and chatting with the locals. Additionally, we embarked on a few other excellent adventures. Agua Caliente Cultural Museum As a Smithsonian Affiliate, I found this museum to be outstanding.  This museum is a mixture of immersive video, sound, and visuals (including lifelike exhibits) to tell the story of America’s rich—and many times heart-wrenching—indigenous story.  The permanent gallery begins with the 360-degree immersive video of the Agua Caliente “Creation & Migration” story.  The quality of their digital animation and sound is impressive—there’s even a screen on the floor.  I found their creation story to be fascinating. Don’t Miss! For the Love of Art! Don’t Miss The Palm Springs Art M...