Skip to main content

Navajo Reservation Experience

2nd Year Workshop Attendees at Dine' College

Who Are the Navajo of Arizona?
I recently had the extraordinary opportunity to teach a few business-etiquette workshops at Dine' College in Arizona, which is deep in the heart of the Navajo Nation. Upon hearing about my workshops -- and where -- many contributed their impressions of what type of people the Navajo would be. Many also shared stories about driving on the reservation--beware the reservation police. After spending a few days with the lovely students and staff of Dine', I found most of what I heard to be untrue. Therefore, I would like to share my experiences with you.

Dine' College

The Navajos ride skateboards and play hacky sack too!

Rebecca & Walker Black with their 1st year Attendees

Stereotyping is common and I found it rampant when others commented about who the Navajo are. Many had mentioned that the Navajo are an isolated people, distant, quiet, and reserved. Some suggested that they do not typically partake in most things current, like today's music, television shows, and fashion.

Yes, it is true that they honor their traditions and are very family-oriented, but they are still people living in this time period. For example, while walking on Dine' campus, I found young people playing hacky sack while plugged into their iPods. Young men rode their skateboard to class and young women discussed fashion. Two students passed me as one was slowly riding a skateboard while the other was recording him using an iPad. Most likely, the video is on YouTube right now. This is not much different from most other campuses I've traversed.


When approaching students with questions, every one of them was open, helpful, and most polite. In fact, politeness is one of the most common characteristics I found of the Navajo—on and off campus.

Were my workshops a success?

 Rebecca Black presenting table manners and business meals

One of my biggest concerns while planning a workshop is if the audience will "get me". Typically, I intersperse silly little jokes throughout my presentations. After all, if I'm not having fun, my audience probably will not enjoy it either. However, my humor is...somewhat quirky. Most appreciate it, but some do not get it at all. Therefore, understanding my audience in the planning stage is extremely important and I wasn't quite sure if this audience would laugh or consider me odd.

Rebecca Black presenting Dressing for Success

Again, the Navajo proved to be just like most audiences. They laughed at all my quirky jokes, they asked interesting questions, and they appeared to follow all my material. One difference between these students and some others is how appreciative they were. They truly appreciated me and my lessons--a teacher's dream come true.

Navajo police and driving on the reservation.   

Sample of the vast Navajo reservation

Countless times, people warned me that the police on the reservation were sticklers for the speed limit and hand out tickets like a hot-dog vendor at a baseball game. This was not my experience at all. Speeding wasn't on my agenda, so I didn't press the issue in the first place. However, I did not witness officers handing out tickets or setting up speed traps. I found the police to be similar to all others I've seen. They are there to help.

My visit with those at Dine' College demonstrates -- to me at least -- that none of us are very different from each other. We may be separated by tradition and location, but we are all very similar.

Update

We, my husband/partner and I, are in our third year presenting workshops for Dine' students.  We look forward to our visits every year. So much so, that we plan our spring around their schedule.  The Navajo are wonderful, very warm people.  We are extremely honored to have this time with them. 

Please Read

Motel Review: Quality Inn, Flagstaff, AZ

Hotel Review: Comfort Inn, Williams, Arizona

Arizona: The Grand Canyon 


Comments

  1. I think people often judge people, jobs, cultures, when they aren't familiar with them. Sounds like an awesome experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I agree. It was an amazing experience and one I look forward to repeating each year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kauai Vacation: Room Review

The Room Over The Power Plant Revised 4/2021 The Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas offers guests beautiful rooms, which include kitchens or kitchenettes, outdoor grills, and a number of pools.  Most often, it includes an excellent restaurant, poolside bar, and small store.  A large grocery store is within walking distance as well.  Thus, the theory is that guests will not have to leave the property once they cross the big pond to reach it. Great theory, but that’s not necessarily true when the only on-site restaurant is closed.  Add to that the incredibly loud room...well, let’s just say I needed a break from the property at times.   Note : Follow Hawaii and CDC guidelines when visiting.  Always wear your face mask when in public. May we just see the room we should have had? After an exceptionally long journey that included a broken plane and a rushed connection—not to mention airport security—we were surprised to find that our hotel had our room ready an hour early.

Snapshot Video: Embassy Suites and Our One-Day Visit to Napa, CA

  Snapshot of my latest one-day visit to Napa, including our overnight stay in the Embassy Suites, Napa.

Sonoma, California: DoubleTree Sonoma

Updated 4/2021 Our Stay in the DoubleTree Hilton Hotel Sonoma Wine Country in California As over-worked small business owners, we decided to play hooky traveling through Sonoma County for a couple of days.  Since we recently experience excellent service on our last stay in a DoubleTree, we booked a room at their Sonoma Wine Country property in Rohnert Park. Our Journey Through Sonoma County Our drive from our home in Davis pleasant with light traffic.  We chose a slightly longer route through Sonoma so we could take in the beauty of the Glen Ellen area vineyards.  The vineyards here are quite beautiful with green rolling hills as a backdrop.  Arriving at the DoubleTree As we arrived, I mentioned to my husband that since this trip would focus on cheese tasting, it would be perfect if we were given a free upgrade to a room with a refrigerator.  The hotel appeared fully booked, so I assumed that was impossible.   Astonishingly, when we asked about an upgrade, the polite rec