Skip to main content

Overview of the Grand Princess to Alaska

Grand Princess to Alaska moored in San Francisco

“Where the river is windin' big nuggets they're findin'

North to Alaska go north the rush is on
North to Alaska go north the rush is on”
Songwriter: Mike Phillips

Revised 4/2021

Yep, we went north to Alaska and it was amazing.  My husband wanted to surprise me with a birthday cruise.  Nice gift, sweetie.  However, there were scant choices for a July cruise out of San Francisco—our nearest port.  Thus, we were Alaska bound and it was memorable. 

Note: Follow CDC and Princess guidelines when visiting.  Always wear your face mask when in public.  

The Princess Cruise Line is a no-brainer choice for us, as it is the only cruise line we have tried and enjoyed every minute.  Why even consider another provider?  Silly really. 

Our last two cruises were twenty-one and sixteen years ago.  Both ships were smaller and vastly less modern (obviously) than the Grand Princess, which, ironically, is considered in need of updating.  Regardless, we found her charming and filled with adventure.  I cannot even imagine improving her or her attentive staff.  

Staying Fit

At the tippy top we found a sports court for playing basketball and other sports.  More sports opportunities are found on the next few decks, including numerous pools, hot tubs and a golf course.  Yep, a golf course, albeit a tiny one.  Somewhere on the ship is supposed to be a golf simulator, but I never found it. 
My favs are the well-equipped gym, aerobics center, and free (super fun) Zumba classes.  Mark, our Zumba instructor is the very best!  Mark Cornish’s classes were held in the middle of the ship (aft) in the Vista Lounge.  The classes were so popular that passengers were dancing in the aisles!  I miss his moves – and sense of humor – already. 
Feed the Brain

What’s more cerebral than chess?  Well, the Grand has a large chess board painted right onto a portion of Deck 16.  We never played on that board, but there were a few board games available to borrow at “Leaves”— the onboard tearoom/library.  Besides games, there are several books available for borrowing as well.  Our ship had numerous hiding places for readers to while away the day, the Sanctuary for instance. 

We found a few Trivia games each day that stimulated passengers' brain cells while also providing plenty of belly laughs.  Typically, it is one of my very favorite things to do while onboard. Yet for this cruise, I was usually busy with other activities, like art seminars.   

Princess Fine Arts Program

Princess Fine Arts program is…AWESOME!  As we will be moving from our current home in a few years, I didn’t purchase any.  Nevertheless, I attended all the seminars – one was about art history – and actions basically to relearn what had once inhabited my aged brain.   Filling my head with beauty and knowledge was generous enough.   Yet, all attendees were rewarded with a beautiful piece of art at the end of each art event.  True, the pieces might not be worth much, but to me, I could care less.  I love them.

Check out these beauties!
Some of the many pieces of free art from Princess Cruises

More pieces of free art from Princess Cruises
Close-up of my two favorites

A Naturalist Onboard?!  And Celebrities?

Another surprise!  Greg Wheeler, Ph.D. was our onboard naturalist.  Go figure…a real, flesh and blood professor teaching geology and various science seminars each day.  While not lecturing, he could be found roaming around the ship offering those – like me – who missed his sessions a chance to ask questions like, “What type of whale is that?”  We had the incredible opportunity to spend some quality time with him – a delightful person.  Please sit in on his lectures/seminars. 


Guest celebrities entertained and educated as well.  Captain Derrick Ray from “The Deadly Catch” and Libby Riddles, the first woman to win the Iditarod was extremely informative.   
Me, holding one of Libby Riddles' pups

Feed the Palate


Desserts on the Grand Princess

What is typically the most lauded activity onboard a cruise ship?  Eating and drinking, of course.  This cruise was no different.  There were fine specialty restaurants, like the Crown Grill where I celebrated my birthday, and a number of other fine-dining restaurants as well.  Don’t want to dress up?  The Horizon Court, on the Lido Deck, is the place to be.  Most enjoy their breakfast and lunch at this buffet-style diner.  However, it is a great place to go for dinner as well.  

My special birthday meal aboard the Grand Princess

For example, one night I wanted a cup of herbal tea.  Since our room was on the same deck, I strolled over to grab a cup.  While there, I checked out their dinner options.  WOW!  I regretted already having dinner.  For example, they had several meat options, pastas, salads, grilled veggies, and various scrumptious desserts.  Oh my stars.  Next time I will eat dinner here at least once.  

Rebecca Black enjoying a birthday meal on The Grand Princess
My birthday cake.  Staff sang to me.

Other dining options include an outside grill, inside pizza diner, a counter offering quick bites “International Café—fine specialty coffee drinks there as well) and Vines, a wine bar offering various wines and a cheese plate at night. 

Cocktail hour?  It seemed everywhere we turned there was another bar offering finely crafted non and alcoholic beverages.  My favorite seat is at the Crooners Lounge on the Promenade Deck, which also features live piano music. 

I am sure I have missed something, as there is so much to do and to appreciate onboard.  However, this will not be the last post about cruising.  Both my hubby and I caught the cruising bug.  I have read that there is no cure…well, except the wallet. 

Good journeys!  Share your cruising stories with us!

Please Read

Cruise Review: Panama Canal; Coral Princess

Polite Cruising

Flying, Traveling, and Living with MS 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa Review

Art, Excellent Service & Penguins...Oh My My Dear Polite Travelers, Maui has experienced some horrific natural disasters, including a devastating fire and, more recently, torrential rain that caused severe flooding.  However, none of that was visible during my last visit.  The Hyatt Regency Maui Resort is a huge, richly landscaped, multi-building beauty.  It includes a 40-acre oceanfront lagoon and a waterslide into a children’s splashpad.  However, I saw many more adults enjoying the splashpad than children.  It did look inviting.   Directly adjacent to the lobby is a penguin den.  Guests are invited to watch a daily penguin presentation.  I enjoyed watching them play.  They are quite adorable.     Dining & Shopping In the main building, you’ll find multiple shops, including a gallery filled with unique and quite excellent art.  My favorite shop was actually Honolulu Coffee .  As a family-owned,...

Venue Review: Hilton Hawaiian Village

Unexpected Upgrade at Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Hotel Revised 4/2021 Dear Polite Traveler, For our most recent visit to the “Gathering Place”, better known as Oahu, we decided to split our ten-day stay between two excellent Hilton properties: Hilton Waikiki Beach Hotel ( review ) and Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Hotel.   During our stay at the Hilton Waikiki Beach Hotel, I thought it couldn’t get any better.  We enjoyed our stay immensely.  Nevertheless, Hilton surprised us once more. Note : Follow CDC and county guidelines when visiting.  Always wear your face mask when in public.   We’re upgraded to where? Yep, because we are Hilton Honors members, we were upgraded again to...wait for it…the Ali’i Tower!  Breathe, breathe.  Amazing upgrade.  Here’s a bit of the background about this excellent upgrade.  Earlier this year, my husband noticed an unbelievable half-price deal on suites at the...

A Few Days in Palm Springs

Palm Springs Activities Hello, my Polite Travelers, As an older couple, we often just want to relax and enjoy our favorite places at a leisurely pace. This was the case during our recent revisit to Palm Springs. For the most part, we explored downtown, stopping for coffee and chatting with the locals. Additionally, we embarked on a few other excellent adventures. Agua Caliente Cultural Museum As a Smithsonian Affiliate, I found this museum to be outstanding.  This museum is a mixture of immersive video, sound, and visuals (including lifelike exhibits) to tell the story of America’s rich—and many times heart-wrenching—indigenous story.  The permanent gallery begins with the 360-degree immersive video of the Agua Caliente “Creation & Migration” story.  The quality of their digital animation and sound is impressive—there’s even a screen on the floor.  I found their creation story to be fascinating. Don’t Miss! For the Love of Art! Don’t Miss The Palm Springs Art M...