Skip to main content

Hotel & Room Review: Embassy Suites by Hilton San Luis Obispo, CA

The Good & The Meh

Revised 4/2021

Dear Polite Traveler,

Since I’ve never been to our beautiful San Luis Obispo, I’d hoped to walk around town during our short stay in Embassy Suites, but no.  On the map, it appears to be within walking distance to town.  Nope.  The heart of town is quite a distance away.  It is, however, directly next door to a large shopping center.  This wasn’t exactly the walking experience I expected, but I did find some yummy crackers to enjoy in my suite from World Market. 

Note: Follow CDC and county guidelines when visiting.  Always wear your face mask when in public.   Also, during the pandemic, some amenities may not be available.  Please remember, this is only temporary.


Since I’ve never been to our beautiful San Luis Obispo, I’d hoped to walk around town during our short stay in Embassy Suites, but no.  On the map, it appears to be within walking distance to town.  Nope.  The heart of town is quite a distance away.  It is, however, directly next door to a large shopping center.  This wasn’t exactly the walking experience I expected, but I did find some yummy crackers to enjoy in my suite from World Market. 

The hotel is driving distance from town, conveniently near the freeway, and has a beautiful mountain view.  It is lovely inside as well.  The glass roof of the hotel’s seating/bar area and the three floors of suites arranged around the main floor create the appearance of an appealing inner courtyard.  We enjoyed a nice glass of wine while watching birds fly overhead.  I enjoyed this greatly.

The Roomy Room (s)

I cannot add much more to this video, except that for the most part, it was comfortable.  Our room overlooked a parking lot, but a mountain range overshadowed all of it.  In fact, it seemed that mountains framed the entire city.  Very nice. 

The Reception, Free Breakfast & Greenhouse Grill & Café

Embassy Suites are known for their evening reception with appetizers, free beer, and wine, but each hotel follows this policy slightly differently.  Here, the appetizers were very simple: thick, soft breadsticks, tortilla chips, and salsa.  The choices of wine and beer were limited, but still free.  During my time at the reception, most beer-drinking guests chose to pay for a better choice of beverages. 

The free breakfast was simple but adequate.  However, the Greenhouse Grill & Café offers a wide variety of options from pizzas to steak.  We had a simple burger and enjoyed it but it wasn’t anything special. 

Bottom Line

The hotel is lovely and rooms spacious but all of it—room, hotel, complimentary reception and breakfast—was nothing special.  If I was to visit this beautiful area again, I would choose a less expensive hotel.  The staff was excellent though: efficient and pleasant.

Please Read

Hotel Review: Comfort Inn Downtown Morro Bay, CA

Hotel Review: Gaige House + Ryokan in Glen Ellen, CA

Hotel Room Review of Hilton Garden Inn Downtown Davis 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa Review

Art, Excellent Service & Penguins...Oh My My Dear Polite Travelers, Maui has experienced some horrific natural disasters, including a devastating fire and, more recently, torrential rain that caused severe flooding.  However, none of that was visible during my last visit.  The Hyatt Regency Maui Resort is a huge, richly landscaped, multi-building beauty.  It includes a 40-acre oceanfront lagoon and a waterslide into a children’s splashpad.  However, I saw many more adults enjoying the splashpad than children.  It did look inviting.   Directly adjacent to the lobby is a penguin den.  Guests are invited to watch a daily penguin presentation.  I enjoyed watching them play.  They are quite adorable.     Dining & Shopping In the main building, you’ll find multiple shops, including a gallery filled with unique and quite excellent art.  My favorite shop was actually Honolulu Coffee .  As a family-owned,...

Venue Review: Hilton Hawaiian Village

Unexpected Upgrade at Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Hotel Revised 4/2021 Dear Polite Traveler, For our most recent visit to the “Gathering Place”, better known as Oahu, we decided to split our ten-day stay between two excellent Hilton properties: Hilton Waikiki Beach Hotel ( review ) and Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Hotel.   During our stay at the Hilton Waikiki Beach Hotel, I thought it couldn’t get any better.  We enjoyed our stay immensely.  Nevertheless, Hilton surprised us once more. Note : Follow CDC and county guidelines when visiting.  Always wear your face mask when in public.   We’re upgraded to where? Yep, because we are Hilton Honors members, we were upgraded again to...wait for it…the Ali’i Tower!  Breathe, breathe.  Amazing upgrade.  Here’s a bit of the background about this excellent upgrade.  Earlier this year, my husband noticed an unbelievable half-price deal on suites at the...

A Few Days in Palm Springs

Palm Springs Activities Hello, my Polite Travelers, As an older couple, we often just want to relax and enjoy our favorite places at a leisurely pace. This was the case during our recent revisit to Palm Springs. For the most part, we explored downtown, stopping for coffee and chatting with the locals. Additionally, we embarked on a few other excellent adventures. Agua Caliente Cultural Museum As a Smithsonian Affiliate, I found this museum to be outstanding.  This museum is a mixture of immersive video, sound, and visuals (including lifelike exhibits) to tell the story of America’s rich—and many times heart-wrenching—indigenous story.  The permanent gallery begins with the 360-degree immersive video of the Agua Caliente “Creation & Migration” story.  The quality of their digital animation and sound is impressive—there’s even a screen on the floor.  I found their creation story to be fascinating. Don’t Miss! For the Love of Art! Don’t Miss The Palm Springs Art M...