Skip to main content

Importance of Quiet in Airports

Airplane and airport behavior matters

Politeness Matters When Traveling

Dear Polite Traveler,

One important thing to remember, no matter where we are, is to be conspicuous of how our actions affect others.  Consequently, we should also remember the number one rule of cellphone use: Do not irritate those around you when using your cellphone.  This rule leads to the more specific rule of not talking loudly on your cellphones when with others. 

Loud, Chatty, Irritating Contractor

Noting that this irritating person is a contractor isn’t important.  Nevertheless, since he mentioned it multiple times during his assault on my calm, I thought it worth noting.   On to the details of this moment of grating clatter.

Picture this, I had a five-hour layover in the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport in Florida.  For those of you who have passed through this badly-in-need-of-a-makeover dot on the map, you know how small and limited it is.  There’s no way to pass the time by strolling or shopping—any type of diversion—as it’s so small.   It’s also busy since many pass through here from cruise ships to their final destination.  So, that’s bad enough.  On to the rude part. 


I’m bored...very bored after the first hour of walking in a half-circle.  Ugh, a wall prohibits walking an entire circle.  Thus, I sit reading on my tablet.  I suppose since I’m sitting next to one of the many electrical outlets, this man—grumble—decides to sit in the chair next to me, even though there are plenty of seats elsewhere.  

Within a minute he’s calling multiple persons, telling them the same loud story about his trip and how behind he is now.  After twenty minutes, I’d had enough.  Closing my book, I opened a game, which I played quietly for another loud fifteen minutes before disconnecting my headphones.  

Typically, I would never, ever, play an unmuted game in public, but I didn’t want to move, and he wouldn’t stop making noise.  Once he moved, we were both happier. 

Could I have been politer?

Obviously yes.  Normally, I would have motioned for him to pause his conversation to politely mention that I cannot read while he talks loudly.  Often, this works.  Today...not so much.  It seems that many are under the impression that rude is the new normal—the ruder, the better, especially in shared spaces.   This is not to say that I will join this trend, and just may handle a similar situation differently.  I would hope so. 

Your Thoughts

Please Read

Importance of Being Polite When Cruising

Cruise Review: Panama Canal; Coral Princess

Navajo Reservation Experience


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa Review

Art, Excellent Service & Penguins...Oh My My Dear Polite Travelers, Maui has experienced some horrific natural disasters, including a devastating fire and, more recently, torrential rain that caused severe flooding.  However, none of that was visible during my last visit.  The Hyatt Regency Maui Resort is a huge, richly landscaped, multi-building beauty.  It includes a 40-acre oceanfront lagoon and a waterslide into a children’s splashpad.  However, I saw many more adults enjoying the splashpad than children.  It did look inviting.   Directly adjacent to the lobby is a penguin den.  Guests are invited to watch a daily penguin presentation.  I enjoyed watching them play.  They are quite adorable.     Dining & Shopping In the main building, you’ll find multiple shops, including a gallery filled with unique and quite excellent art.  My favorite shop was actually Honolulu Coffee .  As a family-owned,...

Venue Review: Hilton Hawaiian Village

Unexpected Upgrade at Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Hotel Revised 4/2021 Dear Polite Traveler, For our most recent visit to the “Gathering Place”, better known as Oahu, we decided to split our ten-day stay between two excellent Hilton properties: Hilton Waikiki Beach Hotel ( review ) and Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Hotel.   During our stay at the Hilton Waikiki Beach Hotel, I thought it couldn’t get any better.  We enjoyed our stay immensely.  Nevertheless, Hilton surprised us once more. Note : Follow CDC and county guidelines when visiting.  Always wear your face mask when in public.   We’re upgraded to where? Yep, because we are Hilton Honors members, we were upgraded again to...wait for it…the Ali’i Tower!  Breathe, breathe.  Amazing upgrade.  Here’s a bit of the background about this excellent upgrade.  Earlier this year, my husband noticed an unbelievable half-price deal on suites at the...

A Few Days in Palm Springs

Palm Springs Activities Hello, my Polite Travelers, As an older couple, we often just want to relax and enjoy our favorite places at a leisurely pace. This was the case during our recent revisit to Palm Springs. For the most part, we explored downtown, stopping for coffee and chatting with the locals. Additionally, we embarked on a few other excellent adventures. Agua Caliente Cultural Museum As a Smithsonian Affiliate, I found this museum to be outstanding.  This museum is a mixture of immersive video, sound, and visuals (including lifelike exhibits) to tell the story of America’s rich—and many times heart-wrenching—indigenous story.  The permanent gallery begins with the 360-degree immersive video of the Agua Caliente “Creation & Migration” story.  The quality of their digital animation and sound is impressive—there’s even a screen on the floor.  I found their creation story to be fascinating. Don’t Miss! For the Love of Art! Don’t Miss The Palm Springs Art M...