Skip to main content

Fork flipping and more Italian revelations

 Rialto bridge, bridge, Venice, Italy

My dear polite travelers,

We have just returned from a very enlightening and enjoyable Italian holiday.  The focus of the trip was in part research (manners, etiquette, and mobility challenged travel-related) and in part just plain soaking up the culture.  Fun.  Most easily, we found our fun and interaction with others.  However, the research and soaking up the culture of the locals was the difficult part of the equation. 

Tourist Overload

I suppose we set ourselves up for this difficulty due to our choices of location.  As a teacher, I felt compelled to visit a few of the best-known art and architecture/historical centers: Siena, Florence, and Venice (skipped Rome this visit).  These cities are not only drenched in art and history but they are also overrun with tourists.  So, mostly we found ourselves surrounded by those either not from Italy or those truly tired of intruders. 

We have all heard of the ugly Americans, those who visit other countries with an attitude of entitlement and expect the inhabitants to treat them as special.  So, I completely understand why the locals would be tired of us and a bit grumpy toward me personally, not that I feel entitled or try to gain favor from others.  However, even though I understand the "why" in the behavior doesn't mean that I enjoy it. 

This isn't to say that all the locals were grumpy or distant, this couldn't be farther from the truth.  But we did find that many of the younger and those who must directly interact with tourists were testy, distant, and indifferent.  Sound familiar?  We are often the same.  We found older people and those who don't deal with tourists daily much warmer.  Not a big surprise.  Of course, I would imagine that if we had ventured off the tourist track, we would find a much warmer reception. 



No Matter Where You Go, There We Are

Another similarity to our culture we found, besides our young ones, is our table manners.  Italians are known for their love of "bella figura" which basically means "beautiful figure".   Thus, they strive to appear proper and well-dressed.  

Yep, Some Italians Fork-Flip Too

For the most part, we found this to be true...with one notable exception—table manners.  Interestingly, we witnessed problems with their table manners the same as at home.  More precisely, many "fork flip".  Fork flipping is common here.  Instead of moving the fork to our dominant hand after cutting, which is required for proper American-style utensil usage, many will simply flip the tines up to eat after cutting.  While using the Continental method, after cutting a morsel, the fork is kept in the same hand with tines down.  One brings the fork to the mouth on the back of the fork and on the tip of the tines.  We didn't see much of this.  Of course, again, we were in touristy areas.  I would imagine a different experience if we ventured deeper into Italy, which I am looking forward to doing some time soon. 

Tread Lightly

So, all in all, we found that we are all pretty much the same people.  Granted, we may have a slightly different focus.  But we tend to behave much the same.  Because of this, I feel that we should remember that our vacation is just another day for the locals, and they might be a bit tired of all the traffic. We should treat them better.   

I fell in love with Italy and Italians.  We have many wonderful stories about individuals we met and how many helped us.  I hope to share more of these stories going forward.  I hope you share your stories with us as well. 

More by The Polite Traveler

Vacation Etiquette: Foreign Travel Tips

Air Travel Etiquette—Airport Behavior

Travels to Venice, Italy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa Review

Art, Excellent Service & Penguins...Oh My My Dear Polite Travelers, Maui has experienced some horrific natural disasters, including a devastating fire and, more recently, torrential rain that caused severe flooding.  However, none of that was visible during my last visit.  The Hyatt Regency Maui Resort is a huge, richly landscaped, multi-building beauty.  It includes a 40-acre oceanfront lagoon and a waterslide into a children’s splashpad.  However, I saw many more adults enjoying the splashpad than children.  It did look inviting.   Directly adjacent to the lobby is a penguin den.  Guests are invited to watch a daily penguin presentation.  I enjoyed watching them play.  They are quite adorable.     Dining & Shopping In the main building, you’ll find multiple shops, including a gallery filled with unique and quite excellent art.  My favorite shop was actually Honolulu Coffee .  As a family-owned,...

Venue Review: Hilton Hawaiian Village

Unexpected Upgrade at Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Hotel Revised 4/2021 Dear Polite Traveler, For our most recent visit to the “Gathering Place”, better known as Oahu, we decided to split our ten-day stay between two excellent Hilton properties: Hilton Waikiki Beach Hotel ( review ) and Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Hotel.   During our stay at the Hilton Waikiki Beach Hotel, I thought it couldn’t get any better.  We enjoyed our stay immensely.  Nevertheless, Hilton surprised us once more. Note : Follow CDC and county guidelines when visiting.  Always wear your face mask when in public.   We’re upgraded to where? Yep, because we are Hilton Honors members, we were upgraded again to...wait for it…the Ali’i Tower!  Breathe, breathe.  Amazing upgrade.  Here’s a bit of the background about this excellent upgrade.  Earlier this year, my husband noticed an unbelievable half-price deal on suites at the...

A Few Days in Palm Springs

Palm Springs Activities Hello, my Polite Travelers, As an older couple, we often just want to relax and enjoy our favorite places at a leisurely pace. This was the case during our recent revisit to Palm Springs. For the most part, we explored downtown, stopping for coffee and chatting with the locals. Additionally, we embarked on a few other excellent adventures. Agua Caliente Cultural Museum As a Smithsonian Affiliate, I found this museum to be outstanding.  This museum is a mixture of immersive video, sound, and visuals (including lifelike exhibits) to tell the story of America’s rich—and many times heart-wrenching—indigenous story.  The permanent gallery begins with the 360-degree immersive video of the Agua Caliente “Creation & Migration” story.  The quality of their digital animation and sound is impressive—there’s even a screen on the floor.  I found their creation story to be fascinating. Don’t Miss! For the Love of Art! Don’t Miss The Palm Springs Art M...